Wednesday, January 25, 2012

REBEL against THE RULES

Lately I have been yearning to add a few new pieces to my wardrobe.... Before doing so, I stopped to remind myself that I do not have that money tree growing outside my condo that I so wish I had (in fact the greenery is quite scarce in the city so to find a tree for starters- WITH money growing upon it -would truly be a miracle). So, I decided to take a glance through my closet (enter anxiety- need to do some serious organizing). I often just throw on a random collection of layers, regardless of the season in which they were intended for- I practically live in American Apparrel dresses year round. This time I decided to take things a step further...so I whipped out denim shorts + WHITE (yes, white, gasp) items and threw some random tights &  jackets to mix in and voila, new outfits were born. My thought during this process was that the "No White After Labor Day" rule is TRULY ridiculous. While the exact origins of this rule of etiquette are not necessarily established, the info I skimmed over via google (bam, research incorporated in the blog) suggests that this rule is mainly attributed to a distinction of social class dating back to the early- mid 20th century (upper class + resort wear). I'm choosing to side with Coco Chanel on this one, who made white pieces a part of her year-round wardrobe. Yikes...I have really wandered along here....The point in all of this is that I am a huge fan of incorporating typical "warmer climate" clothing throughout the seasons, as long as appropriate layering measures are considered. It's fun and unexpected, and white looks so bold contrasted against black. So...out come my denim shorts, white mini dress, and maxi dresses. In attempt to get this blog to become more interactive going forward, please feel free to voice YOUR OPINION on all of this... in fact, it is GREATLY ENCOURAGED. ***My intention with this blog was to not just voice my own perspective but rather to gather a collection of perspectives- so please join the conversation!*** xo







Lots of LnA tops in these photos (LOVE)  Find at Sloane in OTR

5 comments:

  1. Love the cut offs with tights! Very Nicole Richie of you! A blazer and giant statement necklace could be a nice touch too. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that idea. I tried a blazer on at some point and now that I think about it, I dont know why it's not in any of my pictures. You'd nail that look w/ a blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want white shorts and those tights!! So hot!! That white dress is gorg on u!! #becomeamodel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled across your blog and really like it. Are you in Cincinnati? Any interest in trying one of our cashmere sweaters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely interested! You can send info to my email: akern84@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete