Thursday, April 26, 2012

In Perfect Balance

The jacket with the contrasting sleeve...

Stuck on what I wanted to spotlight this week, I decided to go through my own closet.  What's a piece/style/trend that has recently come into my possession that I can't get enough of?  And just as soon as my search commenced, it ended: I deduced from my infinite love for jackets and blazers that the perfect post would be one that simultaneously engaged my obsession and added something a little different.  Hence, the contrasting sleeve.

For my birthday this year, I asked for and graciously received the Helmut Lang linen and leather-sleeve jacket (see below). And, when I say obsessed in this case, I mean obsessed.  I can't get enough of this unbelievable jewel.  The leather adds that razor-sharp edge to an otherwise understated and simple white linen jacket.  Furthermore, it works with pretty much anything: a sexy LBD, jeans of any style or color, a casual T, a classic cami, statement necklaces, huge scarves, boots, pumps, sandals, flats.  Seriously....anything.

Since said reception, I have noticed that some of my other favorite designers have taken on this classic-with-an-edge (my self-professed style of choice) look: camilla and marc, Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, Derek Lam, Malene Birger, and of course, Burberry Prorsum.  And as such things often go, the beauty of such a style has trickled down into the more affordable realms: Zara, Topshop, BB Dakota, etc. And let me say, the limited price range did not limit the level of style.

Below are some of my favorite finds:

Contrasting Sleeves $1-$300
Top to bottom, Left to right: Denim Jacket, by CORPUS, Urban Outfitters, $79; Belmont Fog Coat, BB Dakota, lulus.com, $90 ($36 on SALE); Safari Jacket With Leather Sleeves, Zara, $129; Grey Coated Raincoat, Boutique by Topshop, $240; Moto Jacket, Pencey, Shopbop, $264; Game Player Jacket, Antipodium, Shopbop, $269; Lace Moto Jacket, Forever 21, $30

Current Favorite: Zara Safari Jacket w/leather sleeves- So far, the jackets I've purchased from Zara have been of incredible quality and fit for such an affordable price.  I love love love the tough army green and leather juxtaposed with such a ladylike fit!

Contrasting Sleeves $301-$600
Top to Bottom, L to R: Jean Jacket w/Leather Sleeves, Rag & Bone, Piperlime, $495; Convertible Belted Trench, Mcginn, Nordstrom, $570 $270 on SALE; Washington Trench, Veda, Nordstrom, $550; Silk Blazer, Tibi, Piperlime, $398; Oline Knit Jacket w/Leather Sleeves, By Malene Birger, $565; Leather and Jute Baseball Jacket, Maison Scotch, Shopbop, $341

Current Favorite: By Malene Birger Oline Knit Jacket- Not quite a cardigan, not quite a jacket.  Even though it's a bit pricier, this little nugget could be worn spring, fall AND winter.  Gotta love that versatility.  And it must be said that By MB is an unbelievable line.

Contrasting Sleeves $601 Plus
Top to Bottom, L to R: Crew Neck Jacket, Derek Lam, Shopbop, $1,550; Linen and Leather Sleeve Jacket, Helmut Lang, Saks, $695; Two Tone Motocross Jacket, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Shopbop, $1,500; Josephine Leather Jacket, DSQUARED 2, Shopbop, $2,185; Mid Length Leather Moto Jacket, Just Cavalli, Shopbop, $1,395; Division Blazer, camilla and marc, Shopbop, $699; Colorblock Field Jacket, L'AGENCE, Saks, $795; Leather Gabardine Trench, Burberry London, Neiman Marcus, $1,995; Muslin Leather Parka, Bally, net-a-porter, $4,285; Floral Jacquard and Lace Jacket, Creatures of the Wind, net-a-porter, $1,520

Current Favorite: Helmut Lang Leather Sleeve Jacket (duh) and camilla and marc Division Blazer- love the pink and black contrast; the structuring is impeccable.

As always, enjoy and happy shopping!
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment