Thursday, April 19, 2012

A little birdy told me...

...about a very exciting S/S 2012 trend: the bird.   That's right, my favorite of all prints and themes, in all the world of fashion, has taken flight!  

Last week, while indulging in a lengthy and much-needed Naples respite, I was surrounded by birds: seagulls, water fowl, hawks, pelicans, you name it I saw it.  As I lounged in the sun, on the beach, sipping iced tea/cocktails (jealous yet?), my mind began to wander:  Now that I have concluded my research/posts for the Neiman Marcus List, what, pray tell, should I do next????  The answer was right in front of above me.

And although, ironically, the live version tends to irritate me (greatly at times, especially pigeons (gross)), the fashion version excites and enthuses me.  Immediately upon my realization that the bird would be the perfect post-vaca post, I combed the racks in a number of stores throughout Naples.  What did I find you ask?  Well, plenty of bird-themed merchandise of course: shoes covered in feathers, silk wrap dresses and full skirts, beach totes, scarves, even home goods!

This season, designers like Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Reed Krakoff, and Diane von Furstenberg have taken this fabulous motif under their wing (hmm).  And yes, they have done me proud.  For you, my avid readers, I have (as always) included a number of exquisite examples to shop.

Bird: $1-$200
Top to Bottom, L to R: Bird Notecards, Fabulous Stationary, Neiman Marcus, $55; Bird Charm Bracelet, Tai, Shopbop, $70; Soaring Bird Jacket, Forever 21, $28; Mother of Pearl Eagle Charm Bracelet, Aurelie Bidermann, Net-a-Porter, $110; Kiting Along Dress, Modcloth, $85; Bird Print Canvas Shoulder Bag, Amici Accessories, Nordstrom, $28; Bird Print Pyjama Jacket, Topshop, $80; Bird Print Shirt, Zara, $60; Blue Bird Ballet Flat, Sweet Ballerina, Nordstrom, $199; Peacock Feather Earrings, Alkemie Jewelry, Shobop, $155; Multi Pave Bird Ring, Lucky Brand, Piperlime, $25 SALE; iPhone Case, Rebecca Minkoff, Nordstrom, $38; Printed and Embroidered Bird Scarf, Zara, $60

Bird: $201-$500
Top to Bottom, L to R: Hummingbird Print Cotton T-Shirt, Jil Sander, Net-a-Porter, $260; Petal to the Metal Shoulder Bag, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Neiman Marcus, $440; Birds of Paradise Straw and Patent Leather Tote, Kate Spade NY, designer's website, $298; Bird Print Shift Dress, See by Chloe, Saks, $475; Easy Bird Print Combo Dress, Tibi, Neiman Marcus, $398; Finch Flight Print Silk Top, Marc by MJ, Nordstrom, $258; Music & Color Print Skirt, sass & bide, Shopbop, $385 SALE; Daddy Print Blouse, Equipment, Nordstrom, $228

Bird: $501 Plus
Top to Bottom, L to R: Blue Bird 18K Gold Enamel Ring, Solange Azagury-Partridge, Net-a-Porter, $2,450; Printed Silk Blend Sateen Chiffon Top, Reed Krakoff, Net-a-Porter, $890; Birdlady Wrap Dress, SUNO, Shopbop, $989; Marlene Feather Suede Sandals, Jimmy Choo, Net-a-Porter, $1,995; Birds of Paradise Platform Pump, Nicholas Kirkwood, Neiman Marcus, $695; Feather Miniskirt with Tulle, Matthew Williamson, Shopbop, $728 SALE; Pandora Feather Perspex Box Clutch, Charlotte Olympia, Net-a-Porter, $995; Night Bird Taffeta Dress, Marc by MJ, Saks, $628; Dancing Birds Dress, Collette by Collette Dinnigan, farfetch.com, $544

Enjoy!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment