Monday, May 14, 2012

Fashion Forward Outlook


     Before I begin my first post, let me give you a brief intro of who I am. My name is Lindsey Welsandt and I am a 25 year old wholesale clothing representative in Chicago. My entire life I've been extremely passionate about fashion, and I've dreamed of working in the fashion industry since my first retail job at age 16. I have a Bachelor's in Fashion Design with my Senior Project focused on my other passion, animals! I designed and sewed a 5 piece collection of faux fur and pleather children's wear that celebrated animals' rights. Upon my graduation, I was offered a position at one of the leading apparel showrooms in Chicago, where I've been working full time for 4 years. I am a vegetarian, only child, who appreciates personal style, and adores animals.
     Our showroom/office for rbc, inc. is in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago, and from here, we manage the entire Midwest Territory for brands such as: Miss Me, MM Couture, LA Made, Kersh, Cowboysbelt & Bags, Darling, Rock Revival Denim, MEK Denim, MINKPINK, Line & Dot, Relais, and Pinkyotto.  For instance, if you wanted to open a boutique or specialty store in these Midwest States: Indiana, Illinois, Iowa Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota,  I would be your contact!  It is my job to make sure you are seeing the collection every season and placing regular orders for the collection.  I also make sure stores are merchandising the brand property, the brand is not overly saturated, and that retail stores are selling the clothing at the correct MSRP (manufactured suggested retailer price) this protects the brand integrity and allows the brand room for growth.  I’ve had the pleasure of working with Andrea Kern when our paths crossed at rbc, inc.  I was so excited when Andrea had asked me to be a guest blogger for her blog, and I’ll try to keep you updated with the trends that I see at fashion tradeshows and while traveling. 
     Last week, I was at our NYC Tradeshow, Intermezzo.  Intermezzo is a tradeshow that takes place 4 times yearly and I am a permanent fixture at this show.  Most clothing brands are at Intermezzo to launch their Holiday Collections.  Holiday Collections for most brands consist of an October, November, and December delivery.  I was at the Miss Me Booth for the duration of this show. 
The most prominent trend I’ve noticed for Holiday 2012 is definitely DENIM.  Skinny jeans that are coated, colored, printed, and seamed, are everywhere!  Once you begin to get a good amount of these novelty jeans in your wardrobe, I predict you will begin noticing that instead of having an array of printed tops and pairing them back to your plain jeans, you will be doing just the opposite!  You will be pairing your printed jeans back to a more solid top that perhaps is a different silhouette than you’re use to. 

     For our Miss Me Jean Holiday Collection, we are doing a really great group of Tie Dye Denim!  I am personally obsessed with this group, however, when I’m working with a buyer, I have to remember that their customer is NOT me – so I only will advise my fashion forward stores to order these jeans.
    I will leave you with a sneak peek of our Miss Me Holiday Tie Dye Collection (you won’t see this anywhere else)

No comments:

Post a Comment